The David O’Leary Award is the vehicle through which IFIP IP3 acknowledges an individual or organisation that has promoted and demonstrated Professionalism (Professional Practice), has worked as an Ethics Evangelist, and/or has made strides in fostering diversity among ICT practitioners. An individual or organisation can be nominated.
The criteria includes:
- Professionalism – demonstrated commitment to all aspects of ICT professional practice:
- Continuous Professional Development
- Service to organisation and broader community
- Pride in the profession and setting a good example.
- Ethics evangelism – in addition to ethical behaviour, takes every opportunity to spread the Ethics message.
- Fosters diversity – works to promote gender, race, and digital equity.
The David O’Leary award includes a cash prize of US$1500, and travel to IFIP’s General Assembly to receive the prize. The person who nominates the winner will be rewarded with an Amazon gift card to the value of US$100.
Recent winners include:
- Frits Bussemaker (2022)
- Don Gotterbarn (2021) – the award was made despite their being no physical meeting of the General Assembly.
- Mary Cleary (2019) – the award was not made in 2020 due to COVID and travel restrictions.
A panel of three judges from the Global Industry Council will judge the award and make the final decision.
The deadline for entries is 31 July 2023. Download the nomination form.